Reflection on Paraphrase Practice

What I have learned Today:
-Only use a direct quote when it adds power and style to my writing.
-Always make it clear, from context, that I understand the full meaning of the quote.
- Whether I quote or paraphrase, I must always be transparent about the source and how I'm using it.
- If I use another author's exact words or phrases, to any extent, I have to use quotation marks and give credit.
- If I use another author's presentation of facts or ideas, but put their ideas in my own words, (paraphrase) I better have a good reason for doing so, and I MUST give credit.
-Hyperlinking is so easy, there is no excuse for not being transparent about my sources.

Quoting and paraphrasing is a great writing skill that can help strengthen any argument. Direct quotes are useful because it comes from a legitimate source to help prove your point. I have learned that it is very important that I fully understand what the source is saying before I use it. Its important to make this understanding clear to the reader so they can easily follow what both I and the source are pointing out. Paraphrasing can help summarize what a source is saying without having to use the entire writing. It is vital that paraphrasing is clearly showing that the ideas are not of my own knowledge but from the source. Between paraphrasing and my own writing it should be written so the differences of style are obvious so the reader can know my voice and the sources.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poster Analysis

Native American Influence

Learning History Through Film